How To Replace Or Exchange Your Damaged Money

by Khaleef Crumbley on March 26, 2011

in Government

Damaged Money, Damaged Currency

Have you ever washed your jeans, only to later discover that you left a wad of cash in them? Maybe the fact that this doesn’t happen to plastic should be added to my list of credit card benefits! If your cash has been ruined beyond repair, don’t just throw it away (hmm…I wonder if I’ve done that before)! The Bureau of Engraving and Printing will take your damaged money and damaged currency and possible replace it for you.

According to the Bureau’s website:

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing redeems partially destroyed or badly damaged currency as a free public service.

Every year the U.S. Treasury handles approximately 30,000 claims and redeems mutilated currency valued at over $30 million.

The Office of Financial Management, located in the BEP, uses experts to examine mutilated currency and will approve the issuance of a Treasury check for the value of the currency determined to be redeemable.

Here is a video that demonstrates how these experts examine and attempt to recreate the damaged money:

How To Exchange Your Damaged Money

Shipment Of Damaged Or Mutilated Currency

Damaged, or “mutilated” currency may be mailed or personally delivered to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. When mutilated currency is submitted, a letter should be included stating the estimated value of the currency and an explanation of how the currency became mutilated.

Each case is carefully examined by an experienced mutilated currency examiner. The amount of time needed to process each case varies with its complexity and the case workload of the examiner.

The Director of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing has the final authority for the settlement of mutilated currency claims.

Although Treasury examiners are usually able to determine the amount and value of mutilated currency, careful packaging is essential to prevent additional damage.

Procedures For Packing Damaged Currency:

  • Regardless of the condition of the currency, Do Not Disturb the fragments any more than absolutely necessary.

  • If the money is brittle or inclined to fall apart, pack it carefully in plastic and cotton without disturbing the fragments and place the package in a secure container.

  • If the currency was mutilated in a purse, box, or other container, it should be left in the container to protect the fragments from further damage.

  • If it is absolutely necessary to remove the fragments from the container, send the container along with the currency and any other contents that may have currency fragments attached.

  • If the currency was flat when mutilated, do not roll or fold the notes.

  • If the currency was in a roll when mutilated, do not attempt to unroll or straighten it out.

As you can see from the video, they go through a lot of detailed work to ensure that they are reimbursing people for the correct amounts. Therefore, I can understand all of the guidelines regarding how you pack and ship your damaged money.

How To Exchange Damaged Or Mutilated Coins:

If coin or any other metal is mixed with the currency, carefully remove it. Any fused, melted, or otherwise mutilated coins should be sent to the U.S. Mint at following address for evaluation:

U. S. Mint
Post Office Box 400
Philadelphia, PA 19105

For cases that are expected to take longer than 8 weeks to process, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing will issue a written confirmation of receipt.

Mutilated Currency Mailing Address:

Bureau of Engraving and Printing
Room 344A
P.O. Box 37048
Washington, D. C. 20013

All mutilated currency should be sent by “Registered Mail, Return Receipt Requested.” Insuring the shipment is the responsibility of the sender.

Personal deliveries of mutilated currency to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing are accepted between the hours of 8:00 A.M. and 2:00 P.M., Monday through Friday, except holidays. The BEPs Office of Compliance, Mutilated Currency Division is located at 14th and C Streets, SW, Washington, DC.

To obtain information about your mutilated currency shipment, please contact the Mutilated Currency Division using any of the following numbers:

(866) 575-2361 (toll-free)

photo by Suburban Dollar

© 2011, Khaleef Crumbley. All rights reserved.

Related Posts:

Leave a Comment

Please note: Use of comments that are off-topic, personal attacks or contain profanity in the field below and/or any links, may be removed at my discretion. Also, by submitting a comment here you grant this site a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

{ 4 trackbacks }

Previous post:

Next post: